Thursday

Mauricio Zottarelli, drummer extraordinaire!

Mauricio Zottarelli, drums, percussion, I met him while we were filming Greta Panettieri at the Zinc Bar for my documentary film, StreetcredMusic, he is the drummer for 'Brazilian Nights'.

  Mauricio
The first thing I though when I watched him was WOW! Then I thought Joe Morello!

I asked Mauricio a bit about himself so I could let you enjoy his talent!

Mauricio: 
 I have been involved with and surrounded by music since I was a little baby in Brazil. I started playing drums when I was 14, and after a Computer Science degree I decided to take music much more seriously, and try to make a living playing music.

Then I asked him about 'creating' which is what they do on 'Brazilian Nights' with Greta Panettieri.


 Mauricio:
 Working with Greta is always an unbelievable experience! She's is one of my  all-time favorite singers. I feel she is in such a high level artistically, that we can explore any ideas with her, and really have the freedom as a group to go anywhere we want musically. The shows and the music always flow beautifully, and with Cidinho Teixeira and Itaiguara also in the group, it's really 4 "like-minded" people simply conversing and chatting with each other, and letting the art and music take its course, with no barriers and no preconceptions. It's improvised music with all it's beauty, virtuosity and risk-taking honesty. For a jazz performer, I don't think it gets any better than that!

Here are the two questions I ask everyone!

1. If you were leaving the planet and could only take one album with you, which would you take?

 Mauricio:  As for your questions - my 1 album to "take along an interplanetary expedition" would be  Led Zeppelin "Physical Graffiti".

2. If you could play with anyone who would it be?

Mauricio:  Quite a few people that are gone and I would love to play with.... Michael Brecker, John Coltrane, Jimi Hendrix.... the list goes on and on.....

Thanks to Mauricio Zottarelli for the time and comments!!
 

 If you have a chance get to the Zinc Bar Brazilian Nights, any Sunday!!

Enjoy: Greta & Mauricio


follow me: Pete Carma

No comments:

Post a Comment