Monday

'Artists in New York', Part XV, Songstress, Keren Botaro

My 'Artists in New York' series...Part XV
Some of the wonderful women in my 'Artists in New York' series, I tracked down after seeing them on youtube, or seeing them live...some have contacted me as a result of them seeing my blog. And some, I have met under circumstances that just seemed to be fate.

This wonderful songstress fits the 'fate' scenario. When you walk in to a kitchen and there she sits,
that's fate!

 Keren Botaro

I can usually tell within 8 seconds if someone is cool or not, she not only passed the 8 second test, but the jackpot for me is her music. She has the voice, and the style that I love. She's a 21st Century songstress with just enough ole school brashness to make it all work!

                                                   'Artists In New York'
Keren Botaro:

Pete... here's my story:
"Israeli girl, moved to Boston after my family relocated from Israel (I joined them two years later since I was on tour in Europe at that time), after about a week in Boston, and because I visited Time Square a year before and vowed to come back, I decided to move to New York City, so I packed a suitcase and got on the bus. Thirteen years later I'm still here, singing, writing, performing (A lot) and living all kinds of versions of the dream I had when I first moved here".
"Living in NYC, this melting pot of art, culture and people, brought me experiences that led to so much growth both personally and artistically. I was able to go on tour with Alicia Keys as an opening act, I was introduced to acting and took a 2 year conservatory with the renowned William Esper, which influenced my entire singing and songwriting style". 

Keren Botaro
"My music is a mash of so many styles because I've lived in two different countries and traveled a lot, so my musical influences are very eclectic. I love blues and soul, classic rock and jazz (I front a 17 piece Big Band orchestra), and so I try to combine as many of these styles as I can in my songs. 
To me, the emotional component is the most important aspect of a song so I always start with that.

Most of the songs I write come from personal experiences and actually become a piece of my life, like a photo you can come back and look at. I love performing and I do that a lot here in NYC. Connecting with people in a live setting is my favorite thing to do".
                                              Enjoy, Video:: Keren: 'The Only One'

I ask two questions of all the artists in this series>
1. If you were leaving Earth and could only take one album with you, which would you take?
Keren: 'If I had to leave Earth and were allowed to take only one album it would probably have to be "These Songs For You, Live" by Donny Hathaway. It is an amazing live album by one of my favorite artists and it completely changed the way I approach songs.

2. If you could work with anyone, who would you choose?
Keren: If I could perform with anyone it would be Johnny Cash. I don't know why but I just love him!! I mean, besides the fact that he is no longer living on this planet (small, minor obstacle), ever since I discovered him and his music I was transfixed. I feel his earthiness and his truthfulness and his simplicity and pain. so yeah...Johnny Cash. 
                      *******************************************************
Keren has a couple of gigs coming up:: Thursday Dec 11th, 2014
                        Rockwood Music Hall, NYC  11PM
                                          
               and::       Sunday December 21st, 2014  9 PM at the Shrine, in Harlem 
Keren also performs with her band 'Keren and the Sugar Daddys' and with New York Big Band!

Get her schedule on::  Her FB page, here 
Or her web site;  Keren Botaro, HERE

 My thanks to Keren, for letting my readers get to know another of the great talents NYC  has to offer!
..................and stay tuned here for more from this 'Artist in New York'

follow me:: Pete Carma

                

No comments:

Post a Comment