Friday

Rachel Epp...Songs from her heart.

Rachel Epp (photo: Leah Young)
American singer-songwriter, Rachel Epp, is no stranger to the country. Having been raised on a farm in Maryland, and growing up in Virginia, Rachel was bred on gospel, country and folk music.

It says "Nostalgic Folk Rock" on Rachel's page, I guess that fits, but what I hear is just a young lady singin' from her heart, with yea, a folk sound, and some wonderful original tunes.

Here's a sample...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfsqDBxMZiM&feature=related

To break the ice I asked my usual two questions of Rachel.

1. If you were leaving the planet and could only take one album with you, which would you take?
Rachel:  If I were leaving the planet and could only take one album with me, it would be Patty Griffin's "Living With Ghosts"
Ten songs of just her beautiful voice and her guitar. The songwriting on that album is incredible.

2. If you could play with anyone, who would you choose?
 Rachel: This is such a hard question haha...can I pick two? Sharing a stage with Dolly Parton and Kathleen Edwards would be the absolute best!  The first concert I went to was Dolly Parton, and even though I was barely eight years old, I remember feeling so excited and inspired by her and her music.
I discovered Kathleen's music much later on an indie radio station in Virginia, and ever since I've been smitten. Her songwriting and melodies are beautiful, and there's a mix of purity and rawness in her voice.

I asked Rachel if  she could say something to my readers to introduce herself, she replied:

""I would like to add "thank you's" to everyone who has been so encouraging and supportive of my music thus far.  It's truly moving when people connect with what you do, no matter what profession you're in.
Also, future goals would include touring more and collaborating with musicians that have inspired me.  Also, singing at Farm Aid would be an absolute dream come true. I grew up on a farm in Maryland (and Virginia), so that background has a lot to do with who I am today as a person, and as a songwriter. Sharing my passion for the land, whether it be farms or just green space, is important to me, and combining my passion for music would be the ultimate.

...I'll be reviewing Rachel live soon, but if you are in NYC get out and show Rachel and all the other young artists some support!!
...you can catch Rachel at:  Caffe Vivaldi, NYC, Nov. 18th, 7 PM
                                              The Bitter End, NYC, Dec 8th, 8 PM

...her EP is "Rosary" get it here: http://rachelepp.com/fr_home.cfm

...I'm Pete, follow me here:          www.twitter.com/petecarma

No comments:

Post a Comment