Wednesday

StreetcredMusic, Pete Carma...My 2cents Part II

....staying completely positive, here's Part due. You can see Part uno here:: MY2cents Part I

There are so many different indie artists in New York City, and I think the most diverse group I have encountered, and a group I am ALWAYS interested in are what I call the 'rookies'. That speaks to my background as a sports writer, and it is an affectionate term in this case.

(and for the purpose of keeping my blog articles brief, I will eliminate the artists who comes to NYC financially secure, and yes that artists does exist.)

'Rookies':: They all come to NYC knowing they will have to work their butts off. Some will have musician friends in the city, some will not.

Alicia, more from her, in the coming weeks.
Alicia, is a young woman who came from Puerto Rico. She did not have a connection to NYC at all.
She contacted me, because she happened to be playing in Union Square Park, in May and I gave her my card. I told her I live in Chicago and check out the blog.

So she had no fear, she was friendly, and said she would check out the blog. I asked her what she needed most, in a very quick five minute chat.
She said gigs. I'm not going to tell you anything about her or her music that will come in another article. I got her two gigs, one at Rockwood and one at The Stone...solo gigs.

SOOO, back to what this piece is about:: this is the artist I will bend over backwards for, artists like this make me feel good because they want my help, AND if I could find one a month like her, (and believe me I try) I could start a network that could do soooo much good for all connected to it.


Alicia has, since May, hooked up with another wonderful young woman, that I gave her a lead on, who plays piano and a mean blues fiddle...so they now are putting some blues together.
Open, unafraid, knowing she needs help, of course on guard but, not unwilling to take the help of someone with no strings, most find that scary......Soooo.

                                  **************************************************
...That takes me to the other group. The ones who either I find on line and go see live in NYC when I'm there, or the artist who contacts me. The ones who are not really looking for help, as I see it.
I have one example here too, I mean there have been many, but I'll use this most recent one.

Lady L

 She, let's call her Lady L...she contacted me, never saying where she heard of me or my blog. She sent a FB message saying..Hi, blah, blah, can you look at my music, and perhaps put me on the blog...
OK, this is what I want...I know my word is out there and it means content and diversity for the blog.
But this fell apart in about five minutes, maybe less. I messaged her back and we were chatting..
I said thanks for the shout ..and she had a name that was not American so I was curious, and I asked her where she was from...cause I have women from all over the world on my FB and blog.

She said I live in NYC now...so I asked, where are you from originally? She said, what does that matter? You don't need that. Then I gave her the benefit of all doubt and I said (when I knew I should have ended it there)...Here's what I do...I usually write an introductory piece about you with basic info, and put links to your sites and photos~~~~and you send me a few words about you, your music NYC, whatever you want to say
........She said, "you can get all that from my bio on facebook"

I was done. So my question...What did she want?? Did she really even look at the blog??
I'm not a critic, I write about people, their music speaks for itself.



So, spread the word, I'm a scary guy, who might want to know who you are before I trust you,
....who is nonprofit and helps people!!

Follow me:: twitter  Pete Carma         facebook::  Pete Carma

My pages::  My doc film  StreetcredMusic










No comments:

Post a Comment