Monday

StreetcredMusic 'Artists in New York' Part XVI, Kate Szekely

In November when I visited The HiveNYC to see a production of Ibsen's 'Peer Gynt' directed by Oded Beeri, I was introduced to some of New York City's best young performers.


Kate Szekely, is one of them. I asked Kate to introduce herself to you as part of my 'Artists in New York' series.

Kate Szekely
'Artists in New York'

Kate:  Pete, thank you, again, for giving me the space to share this!!
 "I moved to New York a little over six years ago to attend school. I couldn't believe that I had gotten into New York University, let alone for acting at the prestigious Stella Adler School of Acting! It was all kind of a whirl wind. 

When I got here, I thought I was the coolest thing. I made a point to get lost every day to learn my surroundings to the point that I could sound like a "real" New Yorker. 

Needless to say, school, student loans, rent, five different part time jobs--you know, LIFE-- took the cockiness right out of me. After a few years, New York actually challenged me artistically. I think everyone has a little dark part of themselves that comes to New York for the game and glory it could offer, to 'make it.' But if you stay here long enough, the energy of the city starts to change you.

It's one of those places where you can be in the middle of Times Square with a million people but feel totally alone. That's draining on a person. I don't think I was ever close to quitting, but I did consider maybe trying another place to live. Something that would be a little more forgiving.
However, New York is a place, once you shed enough blood, sweat and tears, that will give you so much once it's broken you down. In the last two years, I've met the love of my life, which ultimately refocused my artistic life. Instead of doing everything possible to make my craft complex and sexy and groundbreaking, I try to begin simply. Find the love and heart in the role; listen; collaborate.

 Then, I met Yula Beeri and my new family at The Hive, who gave me the confidence and freedom and love that I'd read about artists in New York, but which I'd never seen.
Kate, with a young Peer Gynt.
By building this community of people I love, New York opened up it's creative potential. I find that that my work is now not something I show, but rather something I do; it flows. New York, I think, allowed me to grow up. It nurtured me, punished me, challenged me, tempted me and, ultimately, let me discover the endless possibilities of me. And it is this limitless sense of possibility I try to bring into every moment of my work."
                                  *************************************************
 Kate is originally from Michigan...

'Peer Gynt' will have two more performances, January 29th & 30th, at The HiveNYC.
...it is a wonderful intimate venue, get  TICKETS HERE!

Kate will be directing 'The Tempest' this summer at The HiveNYC.
I'll be on top of that for you guys, as always, for the great performances at The Hive!
 
Follow Kate:: HERE         

Follow me:: Pete Carma

No comments:

Post a Comment